Saturday, June 14, 2014

Holy Moly and Holey Dove, Batman!


A couple weeks ago my birding pal Alison and I left Tucson at 4:30 AM to participant in the Tucson Audubon Society's Elegant Trogon Survey in Madera Canyon. We did this last year, but I think because we were rookies TAS assigned us to an unproductive section of the lower canyon. This time Alison requested and got a better assignment for us, and it paid off in this sighting of the object of our search. He was absolutely magnificent, stunning, thrilling and elegant.

Closer to home but no less fascinating is this White Winged Dove with a hole in his chest. When he drinks from my wildlife bubbler, water comes out of his chest. I saw him several times over the course of about ten days, but this sighting on May 27 might have been my last.

No comments: